Thursday, March 30, 2006

Union Station (Springfield)

I recall a gig we did at Union Station in Springfield.

We carpooled over. Somehow we'd scored a couple of rooms at a Springfield hotel, presumably near the gig. I drove 3-4 over, we were the second car and left long enough after that the first car (which included Fitz) made it to the hotel and checked in ahead of time.

(You may remember that on the drive over, we passed "Friends Creek", which we thought was funny, as we'd just gotten done working on Oscar's album, "Friends, the Music of Three Continents".)

We got to the hotel and I decided to pull a fast one, we got into the second room and I called the other one, Fitz answered, and I told him we'd had car trouble and were stuck in Mechanicsburg, which is a little town about halfway between Champaign and Springfield. I broke up before I could figure out whether I'd fooled him (he said I hadn't).

At some point in the room I was in, Montana decided to demonstrate how to light one's own gas. I must say I've never seen that before or since (and I'm not complaining). This was also the trip where we dubbed the giant blue lounge pillow the "Big Blue Duke". I think that there was some simulated "duking" of one of the band members or crew. (The "Blue Duke" monicker ended up being a feature of the Modern Humans, as well.)

Anyway, we got to the gig, and the setup was kind of weird, the room was oblong, so we had to set up with a long brick wall to our backs. I have no recollection of how the gig went, but I do recall that we found Moody napping in the car after the gig and several pints of Guinness.

We went back, and drank beer until late into the evening. Curt, of course, didn't drink beer at all then, so he sat around regailing us as The Human Jukebox. (Ouch!)

It seems to me that at some point someone either got locked out while on a beer run or we had to work out something so they didn't get locked out.

Anyone else recall this gig?

2 Comments:

Blogger JH said...

Springfield, cultural hub of Illinois.

2:05 PM  
Blogger JH said...

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that Tommy might have established a relationship with his lovely wife Karen at that gig.

Still waiting for Tommy to sign up to confirm/deny.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home