Thursday, March 30, 2006

Guido's Revenge

I don't remember much about the gig where Guido figured so prominently.

Guido Sinclair, you all may recall, was the fixture at the Table. Salem cigarette in one hand, can of Old Style in the other, Guido was often taking cover (and, some suspected, a little something for himself) when he wasn't playing with his own bands. (Guido's real name was Sinclair Greenwell, by the way.)

Bruce recalls the front end of this story, and it kind of rings a bell with me when I read his mention of it. Guido hijacked the microphone on a gig and apparently told the crowd that Oscar owed him money. My recollection is that Guido thought Oscar had broken something, like a child's toy piano or something. I must not have thought too much of it at the time, except probably that Guido didn't usually do shit like that, and certainly must not have thought anything would come of it, because I was really suprised when the ruckus occurred at the end of the gig.

We all remember that there was a storeroom in the back of the Table. Often this was the location for pre-gig preparation by band and/or staff and/or owner, and apparently this was where Oscar was taking care of counting out the money (cow, cow, cow) from the gig.

Apparently Guido went back and confronted Oscar about the money Oscar supposedly owed Guido, and when Oscar refused, Guido pulled out or grabbed a knife. My recollection of Oscar's account was that he kicked him (Oscar wore those heavy boots all the time) backwards and exited post-haste.

I was outside, and I remember Oscar walking out very rapidly. I don't remember the details from that point on, except that he and Moody went to the payphone at the other side of the parking lot and proceeded to call the cops. I think Guido must have split out the side door, I don't remember him appearing again.

I also don't recall exactly what came of that. Certainly Guido didn't spend any time in jail for it, so I assume the charges were dropped.

2 Comments:

Blogger JH said...

Brouhaha...hahaha! (Firesign Theater)

That's it, a guitar. I recalled it was an instrument only as I was writing the account...

I'm sure Guido hated the fact that Oscar was making so much bread and had what really amounted to a pretty powerful band in so little time.

Guido ended up having a stroke a little later and was unable to play for the last few years of his life. He also couldn't really speak, but he'd still hang around the Table.

2:59 PM  
Blogger JH said...

I remember seeing Terry give a guy the bum's rush out of the restaurant. He was strong. I'm suprised he didn't do the same to Guido.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home