Friday, March 31, 2006

Pre-Bontuku Oscar

Some of Oscar's music from Ghana is available on a couple of compilation CDs.

Here's one, he's on the first track. This is Olufeme (presumably no relation to our version):

Ghana Soundz, Volume 2

The other CD is available there but doesn't have sound clips available. Apparently "Bukom Mashie" was a big hit with the Afro-world crowd.

Oscar recorded a few albums while in the U.S. I can recall one that was a two-color cover with Oscar sitting on the ground cross-legged playing flute (I could be wrong on this, I have another album with a similar pose from a saxophonist I know). The background cover was kind of yellow and the foreground color was brown. I don't recall the contents of the album, except that it seemed very different from what we played, and probably didn't interest me much at the time.

I don't know for certain, this may or may not have been on the Delta label that did "Friends" and "Bontuku". Delta was the local vinyl replication place of choice for the U/Illinois music department in the 1970s.

I can't find my copy of that album now. I've still got "Friends, the Music of Two Continents". My name is consistently misspelled in the liner notes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug Berkman said...

I have "Jemelatu" and "Friends" (and the white bontuku album as well) on CDs that I burned if anyone is interested.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home