Friday, March 31, 2006

Riot at Washington School

We had a summer gig at Washington School in Urbana. (I went to this school for Kindergarten-2nd grade, by the way.) Washington is a magnet school, which incidentally was the first place I was exposed to the PLATO computer system, which had occupied alot of my time when I was in school.

This was a Park District gig. I remember this gig well, because Mouse couldn't be there for the gig (this was probably the summer of our discontent - summer 1986, then?), and I had scrambled to find a sub for him. The sub was Fritz Wolf, who is the brother of my best friend from High School, and who knew Oscar because Oscar had instructed the HS marching band drumline at Central HS in the late 1970s.

We were playing on the "showmobile", which you may recall is the Park District's mobile stage...pretty roomy, built-in lights, etc. They have several of them and still use them today.

I don't recall whether there were other players missing. I feel like we were short-handed, but it was a long time ago.

Anyway, we played for about a half hour, and someone got in a fight. I remember some authority figure coming up and getting on the mic and berating the crowd that, because they couldn't behave, they were going to have to stop the show. I don't remember actually seeing the fight in question.

2 Comments:

Blogger JH said...

James is still banging around C-U and hosting his show on WEFT, writing his column for High Times, and wearing a funny hat.

12:36 PM  
Blogger hazzcon said...

Sorry about your axe, Mitch! If I recall, Fitz sat in that gig because Curt was not in town either. I think we were halfway through the second song when the shit hit the fan. People, people. Why are we fighting?

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home